Pages

Monday 1 April 2013

The first day of shopping in Warwick month

So, as you'll probably know if you're reading this blog, I've committed to shopping only in Warwick for the whole of April.

It looks like I've messed up already. I've shopped elsewhere, in Leamington.

Well, there were no hard and fast rules, we've each committed to #ShopWarwickMonth in our own way. Someone in another town asked if they could join in, and shop locally to them, of course they can.

The primary aim is to use independent traders within Warwick town centre to get everything I need throughout the whole of April.

However, I'm not always in Warwick. I work in Leamington. This weekend I was in Devon for instance, and next weekend I'll probably be somewhere else. It'd be crazy to drive back to Warwick to buy some local pork chops, when I could get some from a local Devonshire farm. Therefore, I'll shop in independents in Warwick when I can, if I happen to be elsewhere, I'll do my best to shop independently there. I'll just do my best not to make trips outside of Warwick specifically to buy something.

So, having already bent the rules, I spent lots of today in Leamington visiting friends. We went for lunch in The Cricketers, which if you haven't been there is a great (independent!) pub overlooking the Victoria Park bowling greens. They always have some great beers on, including Slaughterhouse's Saddleback. Other's available, but I decided to go for the LocAle.

I had Chicken Fajita's, which were excellent. However, I just did a quick bit of research and it looks like they were from the South of France, not that local! Even though the pub were quick to boast about them coming from Aubrey Allen. Aubrey Allen, perhaps it's time to consider using British chickens? UPDATE: My mistake, the chickens provided to The Cricketers by Aubrey Allen are British, top marks to them!


So after lunch, it was time for coffee and cake. There were a few of us, including a baby plus pushchair. Bread & Co. was closed, Gusto Ricco Cafe was open, but not much room for a pushchair. Arden's was full, so we headed into the Royal Priors shopping centre and went to Chah, the tea kiosk in the middle of the mall. Although the setting isn't ideal, they do a really good orange flavoured hot chocolate, the coffee smelt great and the tea is loose leaf.


As you can see all of the coffee cake and millionaire slices were polished off with ease.

So it seems as far as shopping solely in Warwick, I've fallen at the first hurdle. However, this month will be what I make it, we still shopped independently, I'll sleep tonight with a clear conscience. 

Don't worry Warwick, I still love you, will be back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment